Our government is investing $62.5M for the new Canadian Seafood Stabilization Fund, to help Canada’s seafood sector adapt to these current challenges. People who work in fish and seafood processing plants across the country are playing a crucial role when it comes to getting food to our tables. This funding will help ensure that they can safely continue their important work – for instance, by allowing companies to purchase adequate personal protective equipment and put in place health and safety protocols.
These funds will help the industry as they:
– Increase their storage and freezing capacity in order to be able to buy and process more fish and seafood
– Retool their technologies and marketing efforts to meet the changes in consumer demand
– Put in place health and safety measures to minimize risk to workers
This will help stabilize the industry right now by:
– Reducing wasted food
– Supporting access to the retail space and increasing consumers, and;
– Helping protect workers in the industry.